Residential Roofing Indianapolis
Homeownership is a dream come true for many people, but it also carries responsibilities like home maintenance and repairs, which can be very costly. Your roof is one of the more expensive elements of your home to replace or repair. The roof of your house protects you, your family, and your property from the elements, so it is essential that you have a high-quality, durable roof installed by an expert roofing contractor.
Roofs Are Generally Replaced Every 15-25 Years
Your roof protects you from a variety of elements, including heavy winds, ice, sleet, hail, ultraviolet rays, and harsh temperatures. These elements beat away at your roof over time, weakening seals, chipping or cracking tiles, wearing away at protective coatings, or completely ripping away your roof. Regular inspections and maintenance will extend the life of your roof, but eventually, a roof replacement will be necessary.
When the time comes to replace your roof, you must determine what roofing materials will be best for your needs. A qualified roofer can evaluate your home, listen to your ideas, make suggestions based on the home’s structure and your budget, and draw up an estimate of the replacement costs.
Different Roofing Materials Have Different Lifespans
Indianapolis homeowners have several different options when it comes to selecting a roofing material for their home. Factors determining your choice include your budget, aesthetic preferences, your home’s structure, and how long you want your roof to last before the next replacement.
At Jackson Contracting, we offer roofing options, including asphalt shingles, slate or clay tiles, metal roofs, and composite tiles. Each material has specific benefits and drawbacks, so you should familiarize yourself with them when making your decision.
Types of Residential Roofs
- Asphalt – Asphalt shingles are the most popular material for homeowners because they are the easiest and most affordable type of roofing to install. Asphalt shingles come in three different grades: 3-tab, architectural, and premium. All are durable and waterproof, but 3-tab is less durable than the other two grades, and while premium asphalt shingles are the most durable, they are also the most expensive. Higher-grade shingles can mimic the look of more expensive materials like slate or wood while remaining budget-friendly. Properly installed and maintained asphalt shingles can last anywhere between 15 and 30 years.
- Clay – Clay tiles can be shaped into different styles before being cured and sealed, giving you a variety of looks for your new roof. Clay tiles are resistant to rot, insect infestation, fire, and water. However, clay is one of the heaviest roofing materials available, so it is vital to have a qualified roofing contractor inspect your home to determine its ability to support a clay roof. A properly installed and maintained clay roof can last 50 to 100 years.
- Metal – Metal roofs are ideal for homeowners who want a lightweight, durable roof that will last 50 to 100 years. Homeowners can select copper for a more antiquated look or aluminum for something more sleek and modern. Metal shingles can even be coated to resemble the appearance of stone, wood, or tile, providing the look of a stone or wood roof without the necessity of adding expensive structural supports to the house (for stone) or concerns about fire, water, or insect damage (like wood shake).
- Slate – Slate tiles have a longer lifespan than most other roofing materials, lasting between 75 and 200 years if properly maintained. They create a beautiful, classic look for your home but are expensive and fairly heavy. Contact a licensed roofing company to evaluate your home and determine its ability to support a slate roof. If additional support is needed, it can drastically drive up your installation costs.
- Composite – Composite shingles can mimic the appearance of other materials but are more lightweight than stone or clay and more durable than wood. Composite tiles are more expensive than asphalt but less expensive than stone, wood, or clay, making them ideal for homeowners who want the aesthetic of more expensive materials without the weight or cost. A composite roof can last 40-50 years with proper maintenance.
Getting the Most Out of Your Roof
Select Roofing Materials Suitable for Your Home
Regular Maintenance Can Extend Your Roof’s Lifespan
Your roof should be inspected for maintenance purposes twice a year. A professional roofing contractor can check for missing or damaged shingles, soft spots, leaks, or other issues that may affect your roof’s efficacy. Roofs should also be checked after severe storms to ensure that there is no damage from falling tree limbs, hail, or strong winds.
Consult With an Experienced Roofing Contractor
Whether you are interested in a roof replacement, repair, or maintenance inspection, you should contact an experienced Indianapolis roofing contractor to assess your home’s needs. Roofing is an expensive part of home maintenance, so it is essential to hire a licensed contractor who is trusted in the community.
About Jackson Contracting
Jackson Contracting is a family-owned and operated business serving central Indiana for over 30 years. We are a member of the National Roofing Contractors Association and a GAF-certified Master Elite contractor.
Our company has received multiple recognitions, including the Consumer Protection Excellence Award, the Installation Excellence Award, a GAF silver President’s Club Award, and a GAF Triple Excellence reward.
More importantly, Jackson Contracting has 30 years’ worth of positive reviews from satisfied homeowners in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. We are dedicated to providing quality service to all of our clients, and our reviews reflect that dedication.
Community is important to the team at Jackson Contracting, which is why we have donated time, materials, and services to various community organizations in central Indiana, including Little League Baseball, the So Big Mountain Home, Butler University, the Indy Yoga Movement, the Boy and Girl Scouts, and Habitat for Humanity.
Whether you need a roof repaired, inspected, or replaced, Jackson Contracting is here to serve you. Call us or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free assessment and estimate today.